Friday, January 25, 2013

DIY - Fingerpaint

So, here we are, "enjoying" our first snowfall of the year. As we recently moved, the majority of our toys and arts & crafts items are still packedaway; I needed an activity to keep the boys busy and my sanity intact. I rummaged through my drawers and cabinets to find items I could use to make a quick and easy project.

DIY fingerpaint is great! You probably already have everything you need to make it, the kids love making it, and then they love playing with it.

Here's what you need to get started:

3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 cups water
food coloring


Combine the sugar, salt, cornstarch, and water in a small saucepan.

Even my younger boy got excited about making the paint!
Over medium high heat, warm mixture until is thickens. Give it a good whisk every now and then.


After a few minutes, you'll be left with a thick, clear paste. Remove pan from heat and allow it to cool.

I made my paint thicker than normal, this way, if the container is knocked over, the paint won't come spilling out. If you want your paint the traditional consistency, remove your pan before it thickens too much. Remember, your paint will continue to thicken as it cools.

Portion your paint into small bowls, jars, etc and add your favorite food coloring. Mix evenly and paint!! We didn't use all the paint we made, so I put in an old glass jar and will save it for another day.


Enjoy!


No comments: