Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Boomerang Bonanza

If you live in my part of town, you've been enjoying some pretty decent weather as of late. In order to take full advantage of this beautiful February weather, Archer and I made a boomerang to play with outside.

We used an empty cereal box. (You can use posterboard as well.):




Open it up and cut out a 8" square:



Find the center of the square. Draw a 2" line left, right, up, and down from the center. It is illustrated below in red. Then measure 2" from each corner of the square. Draw a line from these points to the end of the red line, as indicated below. And this, my friend, is the most difficult part of the project: 



Cut out the triangles:



Now, find the midpoint of the right side of each "blade". Draw a line from this point to the original red line you drew. Use a knife, ballpoint pen, etc, to score along this line:



Now the fun part...decorating your boomerang! Use paints, markers, crayons, stickers, glitter, etc. Once you're finished decorating your boomerang, fold down where you scored the cardboard:





Now for the really fun part; go outside and try out your new boomerang! When tossing around your new boomerang, hold it vertically and flick your wrist while you throw it slightly upward.

Obviously, you can purchase a sturdier boomerang for under $10, but what I really enjoy about this boomerang is the time I spent with Archer making it. He helped me count the inches on the ruler as I drew the lines and, of course, he helped me decorate it. And the absolute best part for me is the look of pride on Archer's face as he played with the toy he helped to make.

Enjoy!

No comments: