Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Chic Key to the Past

I can cross yet another person off my Christmas list.  I got my sister a vintage key necklace.  Celebrities from Kate Moss to Tayor Swift to Naomi Watts have been spotted sporting one of these hot little items.

Since my $10 budget does not allow me to buy anything close to the price range of the necklaces adorning these celebrity necks, I had to improvise.  I went to my local antique store and bought an actual vintage key, (made between 1888 and the 1920's) for $4.24.  I bought a 20" silver box chain necklace for $5.95 from Amazon. (I have Amazon Prime, so shipping is free!)  Here's what it looks like:

I actually think it looks better than the $125 version sold by Fossil. Plus the one I created is authentic, Fossil's is a high priced replica. The below may be shiner, but the detail in the actual key is so much more profound. I'm a history geek and I love imagining stories surrounding the history of this key; what treasures did it lock away?


_______________________________________________________________________
Don't forget to check out today's Conversation Starter about Amanda Knox and O.J. Simpson, found on the right hand side.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I love this idea. As for the convo starter - I don't think Amanda is guilty - the evidence does not point to her. That is the difference between her and OJ. That said, OJ was found innocent by a jury of his peers - he should have been allowed to live his life like an innocent man. I think he was guilty - but it was not proved (like Casey Anthony) so they should be allowed to live their lives in peace. If we do not like how our justice works - we need to change it - we should not punish the people who we think 'beat' the system - just sayin

Gainfully Unemployed said...

That's a great point, Victoria; O.J. and Casey Anthony were found not guilty, but are not treated as such. How was it that these people were judged by apparently the only 12 who questioned their guilt while virtually the rest of American condemned them. What is this a symptom of? What part of our system needs an update?