Thursday, December 15, 2011

Go Outside your Comfort Zone!

When I left corporate America, one thing of the things I was afraid of was falling into a dull routine with no room/time for personal growth. I mean, just because I'm a mom caring for 2 children does not negate the fact that I am still a person who wants to experience new things. (And let's be honest, changing diapers and watching Leapfrog can get a little tiring, no matter  how cute your kids are.)

So when a friend of mine bought a new motorcycle, I jumped on the opportunity to take it out for a spin.  A lot of you may be scratching your heads thinking, what's the big deal? The big deal is that I had never ridden a motorcycle before due to the simple fact that I am terrified with how I would fare if I were ever in a motorcycle accident.

I mean, come on, there are no seat belts on these things! The motorcycle industry just trusts that I'm going to hold on to the person in front of me tight enough to keep me firmly seated on a racing bike? Have you seen  cyclist take a turn? They are practically moving at a 45 degree angle. What's to stop the cycle from going down the other 45 degrees and taking my leg along with it? Have you ever seen a cyclist take a car head on and win? You know what, scratch the car, how about a rock in the middle of the road? You are totally going airborne. Rock: 1. Me: 0. All of these very valid reasons have kept me from a bike for my entire life.

So why, after just a few weeks into my gainful unemployment, did I take on something I had secretly vowed never to do? The answer is because I was more afraid of plateauing. When we become parents, our focus shifts, (and rightfully so), from us to the kids. Regardless if you work or stay home, we take the time we would have normally spent on our own development and put it towards that of our children's. So when the opportunity for me to challenge a fear of mine and broaden my experiences came along, I took it.

Is there an opportunity available that you would have normally turned down due to fear, lack of time/money, etc.? I think that as living, breathing people, we owe it to ourselves and our kids to try new things. An unhappy parent does not a happy child make. Besides, opening yourself up only encourages your child to try new things as well.

And by the way...I had a blast!!


Making sure Archer doesn't inherit my fear of the motorcycle...










_________________________________________________________________________
Don't forget to check out today's Conversation Starter, (found on the right hand side), on state vs parents' rights.

No comments: